As with any other things in life, it has been widely reported that sleeping in moderation is good for your health and sleeping too much on the other hand can cause various health problems such as heart diseases, obesity and diabetes. Most of these diseases are linked to the weight gain.
Medical researches have indicated that amount of sleep that a person takes varies with age and all those who are sick or stressed will sleep ore. Aside from this, all those who have limited access to the healthcare may have certain undiagnosed mental or physical illnesses such as depression, heart disease and so on. All these can also lead to too much sleep in a person. Doctors recommend that adults should sleep for around eight to ten hours at night. Many doctors believe that anybody sleeping for excessive hours than these may be suffering from some illness.
Sleeping Too Much Causes Problems
So, what all medical complications can cause individuals to sleep for a long duration?
1. Hypersomnia- This is a medical disorder due to which people experience excessive sleepiness even during the day and are not relieved even after napping. Such people suffer from low energy levels, anxiety and inadequate concentration in the work.
2. Kleine-Levin Syndrome-It is a recurrent hypersomnia and is quite rate. Such people often sleep for up to 19 or 20 hours at a stretch and wake up to just relieve themselves or eat and then sleep again! They often appear confused and lethargic when they are awake. The cause for this disease is still not known.
3. Type 2 Diabetes- This disease has been linked to those who are sleeping too much, generally sleeping more than ten hours a day and less than four hours at night. They carry much greater risk of becoming diabetic than those who take just six to seven hours of sleep at night.
4. Obesity- This is also a disease that affects all those who take less sleep as well as those who sleep for long hours exceeding ten to twelve hours.
5. Back pain and headaches- These minor illnesses are more frequent in people who sleep much more than usual six to seven hours at a stretch. Over sleeping can also cause headaches. When a person sleeps for long durations, their brain generates serotonin hormone that may affect their neurotransmitters thereby causing headaches, especially in the mornings.
6. Cardiovascular diseases- All those who take excess sleep are at 40 % more risk of developing cardiovascular diseases just because of sleeping too much. Though researchers have been unable to find the exact reason for this connection between the heart disease and oversleeping as they are yet to figure out whether these diseases came first or the urge to sleep longer. Excessive sleeping is definitely a matter of concern as many studies show that all those who sleep for longer hours have high death rates than all those who sleep for just six to seven hours during nights.
Sleeping Too Much Should Be Avoided
Most of the sleep experts suggest that by maintaining a healthy sleep routine and by getting six to seven hours of sleep at night, we can keep a healthy body and mind. On the other hand, sleeping too much as discussed above is an open invitation to various diseases and even death.